When assessing the FMV compensation for a physician’s on-call pay arrangement, there are a number of factors that an appraiser should consider in order to develop a defensible FMV opinion:
- Physician specialty – Call pay rated significantly by specialty area.
- Frequency of the call coverage and the number of available physicians on the call panel.
- The likelihood of the physician to be called in during the call shift. Hospitals are encouraged to maintain this data.
- Acuity of care.
- Payor mix or population of underinsured or uninsured.
- Employed physician call pay.
- Compensation for excess call.
- Compensation for concurrent call coverage.
A healthcare facility should be in the practice of maintaining records/logs of how often a physician is called and how often the physician has to actually/physically present at the facility.